Public Information Meeting:
Casey Road Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Improvements Project
Tuesday, May 22, 2018
Casey Middle School
Amherst, NY 14228
The Casey Road Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Improvements project seeks to improve pedestrian and bicycle safety along a 1.73-mile portion of Casey Road, between Casey Road Middle School and Transit Road, in the Town of Amherst.
The project proposes to add ADA compliant sidewalks, curb ramps, and crosswalks on the north side of Casey Road between Casey Middle School and Ashbury Court to complete a continuous sidewalk section. Pedestrians will be accommodated on the shoulder from Ashbury Court to Transit Road. It also includes addition of a widened shoulder, or a separate bike lane to accommodate bicyclists. Finally, the scope includes consideration of a shared use path from Casey Road into Paradise Park, terminating at the parking lot, and addition of a bicycle/pedestrian rest stop.
The Project is a locally administered, federal aid project sponsored by the Town of Amherst Engineering Department. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), through the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT), has made funding available through the Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP).
Why is This Project Needed?
- Improve continuity of existing sidewalks
- Inclusion of ADA compliant facilities
- Facilitate improved pedestrian and bicycle safety throughout the corridor
What are the Objectives of the Project?
- Incorporate appropriate design features to accommodate bicycle and pedestrian access
- Provide improved access to Paradise Park
- Evaluate and implement ADA compliant features where needed
- Provide improvements in a costeff-ective manner with little to no impact to Right of Way
What are the Proposed Improvements?
- Installation of new sidewalks and ramps to meet ADA standards
- A mid-block crossing near Casey Road Middle School
- Installation of a paved shared use path within Paradise Park
- Widened and improved roadway shoulder
Address Questions or Comments to:
Town of Amherst Engineering Dept.
1100 N. Forest Road
Williamsville, NY 14221