The Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) is a priority listing of all federally funded transportation projects programmed for implementation during a five-year period. The TIP is consistent with the goals and objectives defined in the long-range Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP).
This region's TIP is developed cooperatively using a defined process by a team led by the GBNRTC staff and NYSDOT Region 5 staff. All TIP modifications must follow approved guidelines, defined by the type and extent of change, and be approved by the appropriate governing body.
The TIP is updated every other year to reflect those projects of highest priority based on need, local desires, long-range plan conformity and funding availability. The federal regulations for developing and maintaining the TIP can be found in 23 CFR 450.326 & 23 CFR 450.328.
The currently approved TIP covers the period from October 1, 2017 through September 30, 2021 and includes highway, transit, bicycle, pedestrian, and demand management and air quality projects, as well as studies and programs within the Greater Buffalo-Niagara Region.
Public involvement in the development and maintenance of the TIP is both continuous and extensive. Please reference our approved Public Participation Plan for more details.
Questions regarding the TIP may be submitted to Rich Guarino, AICP via email or phone (716-856-2026 x307) .
Current TIP Information
2017 - 2021 TIP Documents:
The complete document was broken into sections due to large file size.
- 2017-2021 TIP (Text Only) (2MB)
- 2017-2021 TIP (Detailed Project Listings) (2MB)
- 2017-2021 TIP (Project Location Maps) (9.5MB)
- 2017-2021 TIP (Project Maps Overlayed on Environmental Data) (11.2MB)
- 2017-2021 TIP (Project Maps Overlayed on EJ and Title VI Data) (9.6MB)
TIP Amendment Summary:
FFY 2018 Annual Element
- Annual Element FFY 2018 (10/1/17 to 9/30/18)
- Annual Element Bike and Pedestrian Only FFY 2018 (10/1/17 to 9/30/18)
FFY 2017 Obligated Projects
+ Previous TIPs
2014 - 2018 TIP Document
- View the full 2014-2018 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) (9MB)
2011-2015 TIP Document
- View the full 2011-2015 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) (9MB)
2008-2012 TIP Document
- View the full 2008-2012 Transporation Improvement Program (TIP) (10MB)
+ TIP Change guidelines and forms
- TIP Guidebook - provides guidance for the TIP and outlines the TIP process
- Initial Project Proposal (IPP) Form - Required Adobe Acrobat form for submitting project proposals (Updated 02/14/17)
- IPP Form Instructions - Guide to filling out IPP forms (Updated 10/14/15)
- TIP Project Change Form v4 - Microsoft Word Document Download
+ Transportation Projects Subcommittee (TPS)
The mission of the Transportation Projects Subcommittee is to address any and all issues pertaining to the development, maintenance and monitoring of the region’s Transportation Improvement Program (TIP).
The subcommittee has among its tasks:
- Review descriptive data reports on the region’s transportation infrastructure
- Design and implement project selection procedures
- Prioritize and schedule regional projects
- Prepare and recommend a fiscally constrained multi-year TIP
- Assess and incorporate public feedback
- Regularly review project status and assess cost changes
- Recommend amendments to the TIP as necessary to maintain project viability and fiscal constraints
Recommendations and advice will be forwarded to the GBNRTC PCC as required for their consideration.
TPS normally meets every third Wednesday at the GBNRTC offices at 9 am.
Monthly Meeting Summaries:
Interactive Transportation Improvement Program (tip) map 2017-2021